Football schollies

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

With 23 schollies used up what are we looking to fill. How many do we have (#2) left I guess and anyone we are eyeballing with the last few openings.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

BeachPoke wrote:With 23 schollies used up what are we looking to fill. How many do we have (#2) left I guess and anyone we are eyeballing with the last few openings.
Well we may have only 22 filled.Rivals is now showing that our last verbal Justyn Eddins visited Arky ST on the 25th and have him listed as a verbal as of today. I think we only had 23 to give this year.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

We all need a Johnny Manziel.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

alyssa wrote:We all need a Johnny Manziel.
Nope! We've got a Brett Smith.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
alyssa wrote:We all need a Johnny Manziel.
Nope! We've got a Brett Smith.
On the priorities list, QB is all the way down at the bottom.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Our recruiting class sucks.
But I am glad that we have more to offer than Colgate and Stetson and Northern Colorado.

Seriously according to some websites we are in a recruiting war with fcs teams...embarrassing.
We are competing with teams like South Dakota, Northern Colorado, and occasionally some MAC schools.

Too bad there is only 1 QB on the field at a time because that is the only position we can recruit.

Long season coming ahead...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:Our recruiting class sucks.
But I am glad that we have more to offer than Colgate and Stetson and Northern Colorado.

Seriously according to some websites we are in a recruiting war with fcs teams...embarrassing.
We are competing with teams like South Dakota, Northern Colorado, and occasionally some MAC schools.

Too bad there is only 1 QB on the field at a time because that is the only position we can recruit.

Long season coming ahead...
What he said.

It won't show up tomorrow, but my God.....this football team could be awful the moment Brett graduates.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I guess we can get some decent WRs but for the most part that is it.

But yeah we are one brett smith away from having DC being fired, and possibly Burman being fired as well...not to get the wyofishing thing going but just saying.
And no it isn't Burmans fault that big Polynesian athletes would rather play in Eugene, Corvallis, Seattle, Berkley, Salt Lake, and Boulder. It is just the way it is. I'm sure everyone knows that here in Laramie.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Just a quick looks tells me we've beat more top 5 conference schools for recruits than we've lost to fcs schools. The subjective rankings have us about in the middle of the mwc. There are so many recruits that are so close that a lot depends on development. It is nice we had the luxury of holding most of last years recruiting class back. We'll see if the depth pays off.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:Just a quick looks tells me we've beat more top 5 conference schools for recruits than we've lost to fcs schools. The subjective rankings have us about in the middle of the mwc. There are so many recruits that are so close that a lot depends on development. It is nice we had the luxury of holding most of last years recruiting class back. We'll see if the depth pays off.
wtf were you looking at?

Josh Tapscott is one of the only players who was even offered by a BCS school and he committed to Boston College then they pulled his scholly offer and he chose wyoming.

Look again, what other big 5 or BCS schools offered any of our recruits that they turned down for us?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:Just a quick looks tells me we've beat more top 5 conference schools for recruits than we've lost to fcs schools. The subjective rankings have us about in the middle of the mwc. There are so many recruits that are so close that a lot depends on development. It is nice we had the luxury of holding most of last years recruiting class back. We'll see if the depth pays off.
wtf were you looking at?

Josh Tapscott is one of the only players who was even offered by a BCS school and he committed to Boston College then they pulled his scholly offer and he chose wyoming.

Look again, what other big 5 or BCS schools offered any of our recruits that they turned down for us?
He was talking about last year's class.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

With all due respect I think you guys are dead wrong. This recruiting class is just the same as the last few and they have been decent. Think about Johnny football he only received the scholarship to A&M and thats it all the rest were fcs schools the rivals and espn only look at certain schools when they rate recruits. I think our class is fine and the fact that we will redshirt most of them is even better we aren't a top 20 school that gets a bunch of five and four star kids we have to find the talent that the recruiting agencies overlook and I think we are doing that, but we can all sit here and judge it but we wont know for two or three years how this class is or last years class.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

YankPoke wrote:With all due respect I think you guys are dead wrong. This recruiting class is just the same as the last few and they have been decent. Think about Johnny football he only received the scholarship to A&M and thats it all the rest were fcs schools the rivals and espn only look at certain schools when they rate recruits. I think our class is fine and the fact that we will redshirt most of them is even better we aren't a top 20 school that gets a bunch of five and four star kids we have to find the talent that the recruiting agencies overlook and I think we are doing that, but we can all sit here and judge it but we wont know for two or three years how this class is or last years class.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The offer list doesn't lie. Constantly ranked in the 100 teens for recruiting every year is not "decent".
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unfortunately I agree with both JRod and YankPoke. Anyone who takes complete stock in the Rivals or Scout rankings isn't very smart...there are players every year that aren't ranked that perform as good or better than 4 or 5 star players. But at the same time I (in a sense) agree with J-Rod. Our recruiting classes are never great. The biggest problem with that is where we are recruiting to. I love Laramie, but to a lot of people it isn't exactly the mecca of college football. To bring in big recruits is a big task, and unless we start pulling SEC tactics (I.E. pay the players) we may have a hard time bringing in the best. Having said that, I am not discouraged by a class full of 2 and occasional 3 star recruits as they are the best we may be able to pull. Hopefully some of them are some diamond in the rough (ex. Brett Smith) recruits.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
wtf were you looking at?

Here they are (besides Tapscott..and are you sure they pulled his schollie or are you just being a negative nancy.....prove it):

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboar ... &PID=74667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Troy Boyland - ATM, Oregon State and UNLV just to throw in all his offers.
Jeff Lark - ATM
JD Krill - UCONN

We lost a guy to Portland State way early in the year. And two to Ivy League schools who also had BCS offers.

That is what the f-word i'm talking about!! Just because an fcs schools offers the same kid, doesn't mean we are in a recruiting battle with them. If you think it doesn't, then we are also in recruiting battles with ATM, Auburn, etc.
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
YankPoke wrote:With all due respect I think you guys are dead wrong. This recruiting class is just the same as the last few and they have been decent. Think about Johnny football he only received the scholarship to A&M and thats it all the rest were fcs schools the rivals and espn only look at certain schools when they rate recruits. I think our class is fine and the fact that we will redshirt most of them is even better we aren't a top 20 school that gets a bunch of five and four star kids we have to find the talent that the recruiting agencies overlook and I think we are doing that, but we can all sit here and judge it but we wont know for two or three years how this class is or last years class.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The offer list doesn't lie. Constantly ranked in the 100 teens for recruiting every year is not "decent".
What does Hawaii usually rank? The reason I ask is because they absolutely suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
wtf were you looking at?

Here they are (besides Tapscott..and are you sure they pulled his schollie or are you just being a negative nancy.....prove it):

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboar ... &PID=74667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Troy Boyland - ATM, Oregon State and UNLV just to throw in all his offers.
Jeff Lark - ATM
JD Krill - UCONN

We lost a guy to Portland State way early in the year. And two to Ivy League schools who also had BCS offers.

That is what the f-word i'm talking about!! Just because an fcs schools offers the same kid, doesn't mean we are in a recruiting battle with them. If you think it doesn't, then we are also in recruiting battles with ATM, Auburn, etc.

No I am not being a negative nancy Josh Tapscott said in a friggin interview that BC pulled his scholly offer. Before he was about to sign the BC coach called him and said that they wanted a bigger running back, then Tapscott took a visit to Laramie then signed the next day.

And Johnny Football was recruited by tons of big programs and even had an offer from us.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And btw, having a list of 4 players that were recruited by BCS schools is not something to be proud of.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And since DC has been here we have had 2 All-American recruits, both playing long snapper! Yeah good job!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

BeaverPoke wrote:And since DC has been here we have had 2 All-American recruits, both playing long snapper! Yeah good job!
And before coach DC? I'm guessing Marcus Harris wasn't a 4 or 5 star guy. Wyoming has never had a good recruiting class ever looking strictly at what high school kids we get. It's about getting kids that develop and coaching.
W-Y, Until I Die!