Starting qb opinion? for those at game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

For those who were at the game what is everyone's opinion on who should be the starting qb for texas. Today Carta-Samules seemed to take over the starting qb spot after the first quarter, and my bet is he will be the starter for texas. I though he seemed to be more accurate on his passes today then Benjamin, but I still think Benjamin looks faster. It looked like Carta-Samuels had a little more trouble turning the corner after he got flushed from the pocket.

In my opinion both seemed pretty equal and I can see different reasons for going with either one (better passing for ACS, better running for Benjamin), so what does everyone think about who should start next week?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

ACS has my vote. Benjamin has good mobility and nice touch on the ball, but his accuracy was poor. ACS had very good pocket presence today, and his pass accuracy is amazingly good. He does tend to hold on to the ball a bit too long, though, and took a few good shots because of that.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I thought Benjamin was able to move the offense better. ACS looked good at times, but spuddered at times when we should have taken advantage of a turnover....I don't think we took advantage of one. Overall, I'd go with Benjamin to start in the Texas game with ACS gettng a series here and there.

Go Pokes!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Neither looked very good IMO. Neither one proved enough to me as to who I would want to start next week. Benjamin looked a little more comfotable than ACS and If he could improve his throws, he could be the guy. ACS looks really short out their to and had some passes batted down because of that.

I'd still like to see what Sween or Crum could have done but that would take away any dual threat at QB
I'm good for 3!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Cornpoke wrote:Neither looked very good IMO. Neither one proved enough to me as to who I would want to start next week. Benjamin looked a little more comfotable than ACS and If he could improve his throws, he could be the guy. ACS looks really short out their to and had some passes batted down because of that.

I'd still like to see what Sween or Crum could have done but that would take away any dual threat at QB
You can drop the biased-ness, wow. ACS's height had nothing to do with the 1 pass getting ''batted'' down. You make it seem like it was swatted down at the line of scrimmage, but it wasn't. It was on one play where we were in our own endzone and he rolled out and a linebacker and safety deflected the ball as it was thrown 5-7yds past the line of scrimmage. Don't make it seem like there were 4 John Fletchers playing for Weber State..with all of those "batted" down passes.

I have no clue who will start. I absolutely loved the 4th and 10 play where ACS scrambled and made the one defender miss as he threw a perfect pass down the sideline to Burkhalter (who held on and made a hell of a play). At the same time, I thought that he should've had gotten rid of the ball sooner at other times.

I thought that Benjamin made some good plays but his accuracy was just a smidge off (with his deep throws) from what I've observed in the scrimmages. Idk if that was nerves or what, but I hope he gets that taken care of. I like his mobility a lot, but I wondered how healthy he was going into the second half because he was limping along the sideline before the first half ended.

-Heres the bottomline: We the fans, are not the only ones who are torn about this decision. DC said that both will take reps with the 1's this week. I'm not sure if that is really smart, but hey..I guess it cant really hurt our chances too much with Texas. I'll trust DC's decision in whoever he gives the nod.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't know why you think I'm "biased" in any way but whatever... I want the best QB for our team, Period. ACS looks really short out their although he is listed at 6'1. I was gonna go down on the field after the game and see exactly how tall he stood but they are not letting the fans and students onto the field after games anymore, which is unfortunate. I thought that was a really neat thing UW did for their fans.

Out of the 2 DC system QB's, Benjamin or ACS, I think that if Benjamin improves his throwing he should be the guy.
I'm good for 3!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 61 times

Easy...Robert Benjamin. That dude can play. ACS will be one hell of a player in the future, and hes good now, but he isn't a starting QB at this point. Benjamin is the best offensive player I have seen suit up in a Pokes uniform in some time. Yes, that includes D-Mo.

29 points was not enough. Period. I've waited to give a season prediction until after this first game, and based on what I saw, 5-7 is my prediction. Our secondary is still vulnerable. You can point out all of the picks we had, but they got beat often. I always found it peculiar when magazines mentioned our secondary as a strong point. We had a highly rated pass defense because teams quit throwing on us because they were kicking the poop out of us. I can't remember which game it was, but one team only attempted 3 passes in the entire second half one game. Yes, we sucked that bad. I fully expect many more big plays on our secondary. Texas is going to make our secondary look like a high school unit. We are moving in the right direcion, but this year isn't going to be our best.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Robert Benjamin had the best presence out there, and it felt like the team was more confident out there, and his decision making was better. And I thought his passing accuracy was just fine - I don't know what everyone else out there was looking at.

This isn't meant to slam ACS - he played better yesterday than any quarterback played ALL of last year. He is going to be a great QB in the future, but you could tell Benjamin was more confident, and he made better decisions.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Benjamin really did have great presence out there. I seriously think some of the poor passing was Benjamin fighting for his job and trying to force things in. I think he will settle down against Texas. ACS will definately be the man next year, barring an injury. But, I dont mind the two QB rotation right now. It keeps both fresh and keeps the defense guessing.
SnipeyPoke
Buckaroo

They both looked better then our past QBs. I was impressed considering how they were chased all over the field and how the recievers had trouble getting open. Both made smart plays by not forcing things. As a fan I can only see so much in the stands and I never coached a college QB. I will trust DC and staff to review the film and make a good decision. I personally think it may be a couple more games before they make up their minds given how dead even our QBs are.
Go Pokes!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

WyomingAg wrote:For those who were at the game what is everyone's opinion on who should be the starting qb for texas.
Ummm.... I think Colt McCoy should be the starting qb for texas. :lol:

Seriously, I thought the team moved better with Benjamin. The ACS 4th down play was the best of the day, but I still think we did better with Benjamin.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 17 times

I have seen Robert play many times down here in Phoenix. He is a much better passer than what we saw Saturday. Trust me. He will end up being our starter and will do a great job.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

phxpoke wrote:I have seen Robert play many times down here in Phoenix. He is a much better passer than what we saw Saturday. Trust me. He will end up being our starter and will do a great job.
Thanks for the insight...I thought they looked about equal...but that Robert may have a bigger upside in the least amount of time. For now, I say Robert should stay in place as the #1 and get the starts. I hate 2 QB systems...they rarely benefit the team.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Benjamin in my opinion. I think he clearly has the better mobility and speed. And its that speed that makes him a legitmate run threat. ACS may eventually be the starter. But i think for this specific game, Benjamin is the man.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

Ithought robert looked out of rythym when he came back in but before that he was moving the ball. Kinda the reason most teams dont have a two qb system its hard to keep/get a rythym going
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Danmully wrote:Ithought robert looked out of rythym when he came back in but before that he was moving the ball. Kinda the reason most teams dont have a two qb system its hard to keep/get a rythym going
Very good point...like I said, they rarely work.
Dear Karma,

pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

With the apparent christening of a capable true freshman QB as well as a freshman running back....if I'm a new coach who was hired to revamp and invigorate an anemic offense....I am building for the future, right now.

Benjamin's athleticism will apparently keep him in the fray, but as time moves on this season, look for ACS to emerge as the regular starting QB.

You read it here first.. :thumb:
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Not only is DC building for the future, but he is trying to get all of the new recruits some D1 actual game experience ASAP. I doubt he will stay with the 2 QB rotation permanently.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

It definetely looks like he's coaching to win right now, which i think is great. It builds a competive atmosphere on this team. He could of easily Red shirted ACS but he's sending a message that the best players are gonna be on the field regardless of poltics or saving someone for further down the line.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Danmully wrote:It definetely looks like he's coaching to win right now, which i think is great. It builds a competive atmosphere on this team. He could of easily Red shirted ACS but he's sending a message that the best players are gonna be on the field regardless of poltics or saving someone for further down the line.
I was under the impression that after about a week of fall practices, his thought to redshirt ACS was long gone...
Dear Karma,