Griz Invasion? Or not?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Montana has returned 1,000 of their tickets. Per Vorel, Gags, and Nulph.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I'll take the "or not" for 1000 Alex.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 127 times

Weren't they given 2,500 to sell? So they sold 1,500...not bad for D2.

Oh, and anyone check the countdown meter to see if it bumped up 1,000?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
gopokes1399
Blog Team

t
Last edited by gopokes1399 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

McPeachy wrote:Weren't they given 2,500 to sell? So they sold 1,500...not bad for D2.

they were given 2,000 and meter hasn't changed
GetEmGriz
Buckaroo

Even though UM was given a ticket allotment of 2,000, I think there are a good number of Griz fans who bought tickets through UW. I don't know if UM didn't advertise that they had tickets to sell or what the deal was for returning 1,000 tickets, but I know Griz fans have found other avenues to acquire tickets. Our Wyoming friends who our group is attending the game with bought our tickets so that we all could sit together, and I would bet that others probably went through UW as well.

I would venture to guess that there will probably be around 3-4k Griz fans attending. As Montana has the largest fan base at the FCS level, I will be very disappointed if we don't have 3-4k fans at the game.

Note: this will be my first time attending an FBS game at an FBS stadium, and I'm damn excited for this one! Go Griz! :D
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

GetEmGriz wrote:Even though UM was given a ticket allotment of 2,000, I think there are a good number of Griz fans who bought tickets through UW. I don't know if UM didn't advertise that they had tickets to sell or what the deal was for returning 1,000 tickets, but I know Griz fans have found other avenues to acquire tickets. Our Wyoming friends who our group is attending the game with bought our tickets so that we all could sit together, and I would bet that others probably went through UW as well.

I would venture to guess that there will probably be around 3-4k Griz fans attending. As Montana has the largest fan base at the FCS level, I will be very disappointed if we don't have 3-4k fans at the game.

Note: this will be my first time attending an FBS game at an FBS stadium, and I'm damn excited for this one! Go Griz! :D
Glad to hear you're making the trek! Enjoy Laramie! Feel free to swing by the wyonation tailgate before the game.
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:Weren't they given 2,500 to sell? So they sold 1,500...not bad for D2.

Now showing 2,367 available. Section AA is pretty much wide open.
billings
Ranch Hand

3K tops and no big invasion. More then NDSU brought a few years ago and they bragged all over about the huge crowd they would bring as well.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Buckaroo

If we get 200 there........ :banana: ...the rest will be gravy.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

If there are over 2000 tickets remaining the counter did go up because it was below 1900 at one point.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Aranderson, Montana gave a 1000 of theirs back...
mtgrizfankb
Buckaroo

D2??? Haha you mean a FCS school that out draws Wyoming every single year. We actually average 5k more fans a game than Wyoming. We're a bigger and better fan base than you think.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

mtgrizfankb wrote:

D2??? Haha you mean a FCS school that out draws Wyoming every single year. We actually average 5k more fans a game than Wyoming. We're a bigger and better fan base than you think.
I don't think there was any slight intended with the D2 - people have been throwing different terms around for FCS for quite a while so it gets confusing for somebody who doesn't follow any of the teams in that league.

As for attendance, it might help that you're in a place with 100k+ people. Laramie's got 30k, and even if you add the closest "city" (Cheyenne) which is almost an hour away, you don't get close to that.

Wyoming's fan base travels really well - probably because they have to travel quite a ways even to the home games. Even when we play on the east coast, there's often 1,000-2,000 Wyoming fans showing up, this despite often having a really bad team/season.

Anyway, Wyoming's main problem with attendance is having a losing team, combined with travel AND harsh winters. It's tough to convince people to drive 6 hours in snow from the central parts of the state, not knowing if roads will be closed somewhere ahead, when the team's going to take it up the rear from an average opponent.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

mtgrizfankb wrote:We're a bigger and better fan base than you think.
False. Well maybe than I think...but Montana is in a bigger city, with a much higher population to draw from (including the surrounding area as well), but your fan base is certainly not bigger nationally - coast to coast. I will look for the link and post it, but Wyoming actually has a significant national following.

And as far as better...true, better at giving free Handy J's. Well done.
Dear Karma,

Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I have to hand it to the Montana folk. Having lived there for a few years I know that the people of this state are very passionate about their football. The Cat-Griz Game is truly a state wide event! You would never know that football existed outside of Montana on that weekend!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Slow Hand wrote:I have to hand it to the Montana folk. Having lived there for a few years I know that the people of this state are very passionate about their football. The Cat-Griz Game is truly a state wide event! You would never know that football existed outside of Montana on that weekend!
Well.. Growing up in Wyoming I never would have known it existed up there without pictures. :whistle:

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
mtgrizfankb
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
mtgrizfankb wrote:We're a bigger and better fan base than you think.
False. Well maybe than I think...but Montana is in a bigger city, with a much higher population to draw from (including the surrounding area as well), but your fan base is certainly not bigger nationally - coast to coast. I will look for the link and post it, but Wyoming actually has a significant national following.

And as far as better...true, better at giving free Handy J's. Well done.
Never did I say our fan base was bigger than Wyoming. I said we have a big fan base. A fan base probably as big as some fbs programs and bigger than most fcs programs. To think Montana is a team like Northern Colorado, southern Utah, Weber State etc... Is wrong. I think our program is very strong and I hope we will surprise you come Sat. The point was, that don't be surprised if we get a few thousand fans there. 1-2k would be a failure for our fan base. As would be a loss to Wyoming. We do not expect to win this game, but we expect to be competitive with programs such as Wyoming. No harm intended, I respect Wyoming for being mid par fbs program with the state population and location of the school. Here's to a great game come Saturday.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

mtgrizfankb wrote:Never did I say our fan base was bigger than Wyoming. I said we have a big fan base. A fan base probably as big as some fbs programs and bigger than most fcs programs. To think Montana is a team like Northern Colorado, southern Utah, Weber State etc... Is wrong. I think our program is very strong and I hope we will surprise you come Sat. The point was, that don't be surprised if we get a few thousand fans there. 1-2k would be a failure for our fan base. As would be a loss to Wyoming. We do not expect to win this game, but we expect to be competitive with programs such as Wyoming. No harm intended, I respect Wyoming for being mid par fbs program with the state population and location of the school. Here's to a great game come Saturday.
Did to, did to.

Anyway, when it comes right down to it, I LOVE when visiting fans come to Laramie for games. I go out of my way to find them out on the town Friday night, buy them drinks, invite them to tailgate Saturday, make recommendations, etc. I want fans from visiting teams to leave Laramie & Wyoming, with the same impression I had when I left Ole Miss in 2005 (and even more). Basically, that we are a fun loving kick ass good time group of honest people that work hard, play hard, and are the definition of western hospitality.
Dear Karma,

ALPHAGRIZ1
Buckaroo

Same here and kudos to you!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"