Too Early to be Excited About Overstreet?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

In the fourth quarter last night we saw a runningback who leaned forward and kept pushing for yards while also holding on to the ball with both hands. Yes, it was versus a Marty English defense, but he still averaged 4.5 YPC higher than Woods against that same defense.

I'm not saying we're out of the Woods yet when it comes to our running game, but Overstreet certainly gave me hope. I think one of the main reasons he didn't win the job earlier is simply that he still didn't trust his knee. The ACL tear was by far the worst injury of his career, and has probably messed quite a bit with his head and confidence in general. Yesterday he got his pads low, made cuts that may not have been perfect, but they gained him extra yards at least, and he kept pushing after contact. He's only a sophomore, and that's a good thing, as he'll have two more off-seasons to get bigger and stronger. He's what, around 5'11 215 lbs right now? Getting that to 230 lbs without losing speed should be doable, and then we suddenly have a weapon again if him and the line keep improving.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

I’m excited about him. He hit the holes hard and didn’t hesitate. My biggest complaint with Woods is that he hesitates too much in the backfield and fails to recognize the hole. There’s no anticipation from him, he waits until the hole is there to make the decision and by then it’s way too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Woods should be used as a receiver out of the backfield.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 am Woods should be used as a receiver out of the backfield.
He does have good hands and good size for a WR.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 am Woods should be used as a receiver out of the backfield.
I agree with this. Out on the edge where he only has one guy to run through, it doesn't matter nearly as much that he doesn't try to make cutbacks. Occasionally he'll just run over the CB and then it's up to the safeties to get over, otherwise he's gone. Nico Evans can be used more in the same manner.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

GoPokes86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am I’m excited about him. He hit the holes hard and didn’t hesitate. My biggest complaint with Woods is that he hesitates too much in the backfield and fails to recognize the hole. There’s no anticipation from him, he waits until the hole is there to make the decision and by then it’s way too late.

Its almost like hes a linebacker that got thrown into a struggling backfield or something
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

wyokoke wrote:
GoPokes86 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am I’m excited about him. He hit the holes hard and didn’t hesitate. My biggest complaint with Woods is that he hesitates too much in the backfield and fails to recognize the hole. There’s no anticipation from him, he waits until the hole is there to make the decision and by then it’s way too late.

Its almost like hes a linebacker that got thrown into a struggling backfield or something
What’s weird is a few of his first runs were good so they went with him. Most of us expected overstreet to be the featured back this year but coming off a knee injury, it was still unclear. Milo had plenty or reps early and it didn’t happen. Not sure if it’s him or the line. Overstreet is the only back not to get some significant reps.

W-Y, Until I Die!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:41 am In the fourth quarter last night we saw a runningback who leaned forward and kept pushing for yards while also holding on to the ball with both hands. Yes, it was versus a Marty English defense, but he still averaged 4.5 YPC higher than Woods against that same defense.

I'm not saying we're out of the Woods yet when it comes to our running game, but Overstreet certainly gave me hope. I think one of the main reasons he didn't win the job earlier is simply that he still didn't trust his knee. The ACL tear was by far the worst injury of his career, and has probably messed quite a bit with his head and confidence in general. Yesterday he got his pads low, made cuts that may not have been perfect, but they gained him extra yards at least, and he kept pushing after contact. He's only a sophomore, and that's a good thing, as he'll have two more off-seasons to get bigger and stronger. He's what, around 5'11 215 lbs right now? Getting that to 230 lbs without losing speed should be doable, and then we suddenly have a weapon again if him and the line keep improving.

I can tell you from experience that this is exactly why Overstreet was tentative the first part of the season. It takes a while to get over something like that. Some people handle it quicker than others.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
roozy
Ranch Hand

Overstreet showed that he was our best back against Texas St. What is going on at practices, etc that have kept him from being #1 back, I don't know. But every time that I see him play in a game, he IS definitely the best Poke running back on the field.
Jesus First, then football
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Woods had those two 50+ yard runs... for some reason those kept counting long after he started averaging under 3 yards per carry.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

Overstreet better start and get the most carries. I want to see more Evans, too