I guess it's going to be Sundance Wicks

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 624 times
Been liked: 256 times

After thinking about it some more, this is realistically the best case scenario given the circumstances. Glad there was someone like Wiscks sitting out there.

I wonder what will happen with his staff. I hope DeWeese stays on.

Does Wicks have anyone that he could bring with him from Green Bay that would be useful? Assistant coaches or players?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 127 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:46 am

Without Noah Reynolds, no he didn't. JMO.
He was the guy that identified Reynolds and brought him to Laramie in the first place, though. I'll give him full credit for getting Noah to Green Bay and using him as he needed to win games.
Well great. And so without Noah, you agree with me, his sample size is too small essentially?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:46 am

Without Noah Reynolds, no he didn't. JMO.
He won a coach of the year award for first year coaches. He took the 3rd worst team in the entire county (NET 310 out of 312 in 2022-2023) and turned them into a NET 227 team (for comparison, the Fresno team Wyoming lost to in the MWCT was a NET 233). That's a pretty transformative 1 year turnaround.

Next year - the results won't be good. We don't and can't have a team because of the way Linder f****ed us. But man I am not sure who you were realistically expecting us to hire at this point.
All thanks to Noah Reynolds, right? I mean, if you take Noah out, and GBW ends up at 12 - 18 or thereabouts, he isn't coach of the year, or even close. That is one guy, and that one guy is a pretty special hoops player / difference maker. Hell, you put Noah on almost any team, and it is an automatic improvement. I think Burman took the easy route, but I will still heavily support Wicks out of the gate.
Dear Karma,

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 am

He was the guy that identified Reynolds and brought him to Laramie in the first place, though. I'll give him full credit for getting Noah to Green Bay and using him as he needed to win games.
Well great. And so without Noah, you agree with me, his sample size is too small essentially?
What you're asking is for anyone happy about this hire to completely remove his recruiting ability when deciding if he's a good coach. That's not a fair argument at all.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:15 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am

What you're asking is for anyone happy about this hire to completely remove his recruiting ability when deciding if he's a good coach. That's not a fair argument at all.
LOL - not so fast there 1016! What I am saying, is that his HC sample size is indeed too small, and without prying Noah from Wisconsin to Green Bay Wisconsin (by hiring Noah's cousin / uncle / brother / whatever), his season would look very different. That is all. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 138 times

I think this is the best outcome we could expect, at this point. Personally I’m excited about Wicks. Seems like kids really like him re: Noah Reynolds as a recent example, which I don’t believe can be said about Linder. So now instead of the dumpster being on fire it’s been extinguished. The season will tell how much damage there is.

And, glad loser Linder is gone. Bye……..
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

Honestly, no idea how this will work. Regardless of HC hire, it probably should be a 4 year commitment barring any major scandals, personnel issues, etc.

I respect the man for attempting the job. Arguably one of the toughest jobs in the country right now.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Glad the hire didn't take forever...I think this is as close to a home run as we at medocre U can get. Time will tell, but the Rocky Mountain region will truly get the best players to come to good ole UW....welcome home Sundance looking forward to this with (finally) a local hire with love for the 307!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

But does Ragtime have a nickname for Sundance that no one will understand?
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:29 pm But does Ragtime have a nickname for Sundance that no one will understand?
The hire didn't reek of nepotism and systemic racism, so no.

Maybe, JNW? J.ob N.obody W.anted
Or HSTIADF...
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.