How to keep the TCU game close?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

In order to prevent a 50-0 score against TCU, I propose this offensive gameplan. The great thing about this gameplan, is that it should solve our big problems of fumbles and interceptions, especially the return for 6 variety.

So on 1st down, we take a knee and run the clock. On 2nd down, we take a knee and run the clock. On 3rd down, we take a knee and run the clock. On 4th down, we run the clock and punt. Now, there are obvious difficulties with this offense. We must get the snap right (to the QB and to the punter) and we must get the punt off. Hopefully, with 2 weeks of practice we can accomplish those 2 things.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

I think there is something to be learned from the way TCU has executed their gameplan. The direct snap plays to their WR is something that we should have been doing with DMo since Day 1! It is actually fun watching this game, if for nothing else, the imaginative offense that Patterson and Co. has put together...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

You are absolutely correct PokeTransplant. It does not take much to see the game preparation that TCU put into this game. I agree about direct snapping the ball to D MO. Our offense has no imagination and looks like we haven't even looked at the other team's game films. It's like - we are going to run this smashmouth football at you and I don't care who you are.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

I honestly believe that has been our downfall since it was announced when Cole came on board that we were going to be a smashmouth football team....with no back up plan....

That along with the divisiveness between Cole and Glenn on who was going to be the starting QB pretty much doomed us from the start....and the continuing cycle of turnoveritis hasn't helped
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Did all of you who watched the game last night see how active TCU's coach Paterson was throughout the game? I mean the guy was working up a lather making sure that players were in the right place, calling plays, talking on the headset, getting after players who screwed up, getting after the refs, etc. I know he makes a the most of any coach in the MWC but he earns it. What a difference from Tough Job - he just sits there with his arms crossed in anticipation of a punt hang time to mark.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

HiCountryCowboy wrote:Did all of you who watched the game last night see how active TCU's coach Paterson was throughout the game? I mean the guy was working up a lather making sure that players were in the right place, calling plays, talking on the headset, getting after players who screwed up, getting after the refs, etc. I know he makes a the most of any coach in the MWC but he earns it. What a difference from Tough Job - he just sits there with his arms crossed in anticipation of a punt hang time to mark.
I'm not trying to defend Glenn, because I think the results this year pretty much speak for themselves, but personally I am tired of the Joe Glenn doesn't wear a headset, or isn't involved with the offense, or defense enough arguement. Different coach's have different personalities and styles of doing things, Joe's is to let his assistants be in charge of their group of players. That may very well be the down fall of he and the staff here at UW, but thats his choice. Personally, if Glenn was wearing a headset, running up and down the sideline, and we were still losing I would be just as pissed as I am now, so why is this even an issue?
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Because when you couple GP's obvious fire and hands on approach, it translates into success. I can honestly say that I have never seen our guy actively coach during a game and when you couple that with many of his hires (offensively in particular) and his results, it proves Tough Job has no f-word clue what it takes. He's like one of three coaches in D1-A that doesn't wear a headset. Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden are battling out for WINNINGEST COACHES OF ALL TIME and Tough Job is standing there like a like a deer gazing into a set of headlights. If you're going to be the head coach, you'd better actually COACH!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Joe could easily beat the spread in the TCU game. He should put a wad of cash on it, collect, then leave for Mexico (I don't mind him going to Mexico. I mind him coming back). To beat the spread, don't show up. Score TCU 1, Pokes 0. The Pokes won't score anyway, so why let the Horney Frogs steal the show.