UNLV GAME THREAD/SCORE PREDICTIONS

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Ok Poke fans,

Do the cowboys ride the momentum into this game and find a way to get a win, or do the coaches use the same ol' predictable game plan (run right, run left, run up the middle) or do the coaches actually use the play action pass and set the Rebels up for the deep ball? Can the Pokes role the dice and come up a winner in Vegas?
My prediction: Since Glenn started wearing a headset in the Vol's game, he will continue to wear one and keep an ear on the OC. The Pokes will put together their best offensive performance tonight and come away with a nice win.
WYO 24
UNLV 10
Last edited by one-smooth-poke on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Its all about confidence and momentum with this team right now, if we can make a big play early in the game (offense, defense, or special teams) we should play solid and win. D-Mo and Wynel could have big nights against a UNLV team that struggles to stop the run, and if Stutz can keep making one or two big plays a game when given the chance I think we have a good shot!

Wyoming 27
UNLV 13
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Snowman_55 wrote:Its all about confidence and momentum with this team right now, if we can make a big play early in the game (offense, defense, or special teams) we should play solid and win. D-Mo and Wynel could have big nights against a UNLV team that struggles to stop the run, and if Stutz can keep making one or two big plays a game when given the chance I think we have a good shot!

Wyoming 27
UNLV 13
Agreed, the Pokes need to make some type of big play. However, I seriously dont think it will be on special teams as they seem to be terrible still. Not much improvement in that area at all. IMHO I am not sure if we will have a huge running attach or not if we dont throw the ball some. But, I think Stutz can make some big pass plays and keep the Rebel D honest. I like your score better! Go Pokes
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

35-17 Wyoming. The Pokes have hit their stride.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

UNLV has poor run defense, so we should be able to run the ball. The key is, can we keep from committing the turnovers? If so, Pokes should win. This is also why I think we'll see a very conservative game plan; lots of Demo and Seldon, very little passing. My concern is giving up a TD on a kick return, UNVL has some good return guys, and we've seen Wyoming's weakness on coverage a lot. But if we get decent coverage, the same good defensive effort, limit turnovers, I see Wyoming on top. Wyo 21, UNLV 14.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Cheypoke,

I hope your right about their run defense. My fear is that if they stack the box they will take away our run. Every other team that they have played has been able to throw the ball which opens up the run game. If our offense only comes out running, they will stack the box and then we are screwed. I hope like hell that Cole figures that out and adjusts with some passing to keep the D honest.
WYO Bandit
Buckaroo

Rebs 17
Pokes 24

It seems like ever since Glenn arrived in Laramie his teams have been streaky. After losing five straight, we are now on a winning streak and I see that extending over the next two games. Vegas has been good to the Pokes the last few years, let's hope that trend continues as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

WY 17 - UNLV 14. Im saying the Cowboys protect the ball, play the field position game once again and come out on top 17-14. D-MO will have 150 yards on the ground and I am really hoping that Scott converts his field goal.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 14 times

Sorry about not posting news this week...stuck in Pasadena for the week driving the wife to and from a work related obligation.

As far as the game goes tonight. I do see DMo getting 150yds with Wynel getting close to 80yds. Stutz will throw for about 150yds. Fortunately for the Pokes, the Rubbles don't have the defense Tennessee had. This isn't going to be the typical 90 combined point game of previous years. I think the Cowboy D is feeling good about itself again and will shut down Vegas. Final Score: Cowboys 17 UNLV 10
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Why should the Pokes all of a sudden become a scoring machine? You predict the future based on the past. Remember the future is like the past right up to the point it isn't.

The Pokes are and will remain a low scoring outfit. The trick is, like at TN, to keep UNLV from scoring. If not, it's over. I would go more like Pokes between 10 and 20 and UNLV between 14 and 30. Still margin for victory in that. The higher UNLV number because their receivers can burn the Wyo. secondary - and if their QB is on.......
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Congrats on the win @ Tennessee and good luck against Vegas. Should be a good game.
Colt Brennan= Future Hall of Famer!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Game on.. I missed the first few mins.. nothing much so far. 3-0 UNLV.
ImageImageImageImage
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

You can tell the defense is very frustrated again with the offense. The personal foul penalties and other penalties are killing them. Maybe now that there is a missed field goal by UNLV, the offense will come out with their hair on fire....
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Defense is definitely doing their job.. but the offense is gaining some yards.. driving right now. Nevermind, touchdown Wyoming, Stutz to Bolling on a fade. 7-3 Wyoming. 2nd Q.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Landess is kicking for the Pokes tonight as well.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Announcers of this game just said that Burman told Glenn he'd need a bowl game to save his job. Interesting.

Defense has some poor tackling going on tonight, but laying the wood when they actually hit someone.

UNLV kicks a field goal, 7-6.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

GAH!!!1!11!1!!!! The Cowboys keep putting a shoulder on someone hoping that'll be enough to bring the ball carrier down.. instead they spin away and go for additional yards. This is hurting them time and time again.
ImageImageImageImage
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

9-7 Vegas. Pokes hangin' in.
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:Announcers of this game just said that Burman told Glenn he'd need a bowl game to save his job. Interesting.
Defense has some poor tackling going on tonight, but laying the wood when they actually hit someone.

UNLV kicks a field goal, 7-6.
I think this is the right decision. He needs to win these last two to save his job.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Terrible decision to use the timeout trying to ice the kicker with a minute left in the half. We could have used that on our drive to maybe get in field goal range.