ROLL CALL: Autzen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Ill be there with poked beaver ;)

Any Wyonation people going to Eugene for the Oregon game????
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Nope. Hopefully I can find a stream of it somewhere. Comcast got some major updates to digital cable here, even the SEC network (of all things), but no PAC network.
BigHornPoke
Buckaroo

Party of 4 here, making the trip. Has anyone heard of Friday night gathering place for Poke fans?
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Everybody meet at the "Beav's" house.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Sadly, this is much closer for me than Laramie, but failure to plan on my part...
ImageImageImageImage
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

castlerocker wrote:Everybody meet at the "Beav's" house.

Lol... I'm not opposed...
My girlfriend might be. And when I say "might" I really mean that yes she will be very opposed to that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

just me I'll be there, bright eyed and bushy tailed, lol, fly into Portland Friday night make the trek down I-5 saturday am, go to the game and back for an evening flight outta PDX that night, unless we win and man oh man is the party on, Cya in Autzen
Cowduck
Cowpoke

I'll be there with like 20 people, lots of family and friends coming for this one.

Would the people who are going like a little rundown on Eugene and the food/drink/gameday scene? Does anyone have particular questions?

Man I can't wait, there is no place like Eugene in September.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

BigHornPoke wrote:Party of 4 here, making the trip. Has anyone heard of Friday night gathering place for Poke fans?
Yes, the UW Alumni Association is hosting a get together at the Wetlands Brew Pub, 922 Garfield St. Starts at 7 pm. No host cash bar, menu specials.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cowduck wrote:I'll be there with like 20 people, lots of family and friends coming for this one.

Would the people who are going like a little rundown on Eugene and the food/drink/gameday scene? Does anyone have particular questions?

My girlfriend and I plan on checking out the UO campus early in the day. Not just the athletics stuff but the whole campus.
Is there any Wyo tailgating going on?
Any spots we would be welcomed as Wyo fans? (I won't wear my OS hat...)
Cowduck
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
Cowduck wrote:I'll be there with like 20 people, lots of family and friends coming for this one.

My girlfriend and I plan on checking out the UO campus early in the day. Not just the athletics stuff but the whole campus.
Is there any Wyo tailgating going on?
Any spots we would be welcomed as Wyo fans? (I won't wear my OS hat...)
The walk from the east campus area over to Autzen through Alton Baker Park is tons of fun, I recommend it highly for everyone rather than messing with Autzen's parking lot. It's about a mile walk depending on where you find parking - look around the law school/Hayward Field for a good spot is my insider tip.

There is a CJC tailgate being held in Essig Field, which is across MLK Blvd. from Autzen and where you can find a lot of tailgating going on. Tickets are available through the UW ticket office. They are $38 advance or $43 day-of, which is a little steep if you ask me but three drink tickets are included so if that sounds reasonable price-wise, that's probably your safest bet for Wyoming tailgating.

Three hours prior to kickoff, you can get into the Moshofsky Center for pregame festivities (sort of like what they are doing in the IPF now, I suppose) - that's located right next to Autzen. The Ducks will do a walk through the Moshofsky Center a couple of hours before game time, there's big screens around showing other games, music, dance team doing stuff, etc. There is a lot of food and beer/wine available there too so it's a fun pregame option. My experience at Oregon games is that the crowd is overall very friendly to visiting fans, especially when there's a cupcake in town, which will definitely be the perception here even if we'll try to disabuse them of that notion during the game. So I wouldn't be afraid to rock your Wyoming gear in a mixed crowd, whether its wandering the tailgate area or the Moshofsky. Even the students are 1) still two weeks away from starting classes, and 2) generally too drunk/stoned to give you much crap.

I'll add a separate post in a bit for bar and restaurant recommendations.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Here are the places I would suggest for folks looking to eat and drink in Eugene:

Eat - Off the top, if I'm being honest, Eugene isn't my first choice for high-quality/fine dining in the Pacific Northwest, a lot of the pricier/nicer restaurants are frankly overrated. True to college town form, the best eats are the places college kids can afford. If you're looking for that type of fine dining experience I will list a few places that are pretty good but I wouldn't say there's a must-hit place of that type.

Burrito Boy - A Eugene institution for late night munchies, cheap hangover remedies, or around the clock goodness. Burritos and tacos that are excellent, open 24 hrs a day. If you're looking for cheap, quick, and delicious, this is your spot.

The Glenwood - Another famous spot, plan on waiting up to an hour for a table on a weekend, but this is the best breakfast/brunch spot in town. There are two locations but don't bother with the one on Willamette - hit the West Campus area one for true Eugene flavor.

Pegasus Pizza - There are a few pizza places in town that are pretty good but this is my favorite. Not a huge place but there are good beers on tap and an underrated bar in the basement.

Cornucopia - Sort of quintessential Eugene, they have an excellent beer selection with some slightly uncommon brews, excellent sandwiches and burgers, and good vegan options because never forget this is a hippie town.

McMenamins - There are a few locations around, they are slowly taking over the PNW. Another good brewpub type option with good beer. Pro tip - order a "Rubinator".

Beppe and Gianni's - Near the law school so I ate there a fair amount, good Italian food. There is also an offshoot Neapolitan pizza joint owned by the same people called La Perla located near downtown that is new; I haven't eaten there yet but Kirk Herbstreit swears by it so there's that.

Cafe Soriah - Greek/Mediterranean food, not my exact cup of tea but my wife really likes this place and there are a lot of good dishes on the menu.

Belly - A new place that I haven't been to yet but we are dying to try it, we have heard really great things about it. Sort of upscale comfort food. I am hoping we will get there one night we are there.

Drink - Tons of great places to have a cold one, I'll just list a few but it's hard to go wrong.

Rennie's/Taylors - These are located a block apart, right on the Western edge of campus. If you're looking for the campus-type experience with students and all that look no further. I slightly prefer the ambiance at Rennie's but that's just me, you can easily have a drink or two at each place and judge for yourself.

Max's - Probably my favorite bar in Eugene, located just west of campus a ways. This is the bar that "Moe's" from The Simpsons was based on. They've had to renovate a bit and I don't think they let you throw peanut shells on the floor anymore but it's still a must as far as Eugene watering holes go.

Ninkasi Brewery - It's a pretty new brewery and you'll see their beers on tap and in stores all over these days, but I'd recommend heading out to the taproom to try some there. They'll have food trucks on site if you get hungry. It's a cool spot and the best brewery in Eugene and one of the best in the PNW.

Horsehead Bar - Downtown Eugene, a bit on the divey end but again, my kind of place. They'll mix a stiff drink and there's a friendly atmosphere.

That's it for now. Looking for something specific? Just ask!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

I am travelling from Kentucky to this one. Probably crazy to watch this one live but I always go.to the big ones. Should be fun.

GO POKES!!
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 15 times

My wife and I will be there! I'm working in Portland all week and she's flying up Friday night. We'll drive down early Sat, and spend Sat night in Eugene, then fly home on Sunday.