Oregon and Florida Atlantic

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Owls lost by 28 to Florida International tonight...Ducks down 17-24 at home to Zona right now.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

31-24...Ducks running out of time.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Oregon is going down! What a shocker!!!!

What does this say about Nevada? They played Zona better than Oregon did!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Oregon had a patchwork o-line and a soft defense, and Arizona exploited both to their fullest extent.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Oregon defense is really bad and Arizona is going to turn some heads, Wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Pac 12.

FAU not very good at all other than Whitehead that team is mediocre at best. So after watching these games tonight makes me question our offense even more than ever before. We could only manage 20 against FAU little worried about that heading into conference play.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:Oregon defense is really bad and Arizona is going to turn some heads, Wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Pac 12.

FAU not very good at all other than Whitehead that team is mediocre at best. So after watching these games tonight makes me question our offense even more than ever before. We could only manage 20 against FAU little worried about that heading into conference play.
What we got is what we got. And out o-line wasn't all that good in pass protection in the spread, which is what they were recruited for (still don't do very well in the shotgun formation).

Right now, in order to win games, we have to go on long sustained drives, rely on the run game with some roll out play action passes thrown in there (we do alright on those), and rely on our defense to, if nothing else, limit other offenses to FGs, if not keep them from scoring altogether. Also, no more "Cutesy" plays either. Those never work for us. For one, our o-line just cannot hold a block for very long consistently. Also on 3rd and short, power it up the middle, rather than shotgun pass. It has rarely worked so far. Next, if Wick is tearing them up on the ground, keep feeding it to him. Force the other team to stop Wick. May works best as a change of pace guy and shotgun formation back. Finally, if the other team is loading up to blitz, USE A HB SCREEN PASS! SO many times we saw our o-line get overwhelmed almost immediately when the other team blitzes, and it's obvious they're blitzing, but we rarely call screens! GAH! It would at least keep defenses more honest. And May has shown he is dangerous with the screen pass.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Zona ruins Oregons season two years in a row.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

I didn't watch the FAU game, but FIU's offense stats (sans score) are very similar to WYO's against FAU. For those that watched, what was the main difference? Field position of turnovers?

I was hoping FAU would prove to be a better team.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I didn't watch the FAU game, but FIU's offense stats (sans score) are very similar to WYO's against FAU. For those that watched, what was the main difference? Field position of turnovers?

They did beat Tulsa (who plays CSU tomorrow) by 30. I caught part of the game last night.....it appears they are a rivalry and there was a long weather delay. Who knows......does nothing to change my thoughts on Wyoming as we are a work in progress. But, expect the Pokes to get better weekly.

With this result, we can also point to AFA dismantling Boise.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

JimmyDimes wrote: They did beat Tulsa (who plays CSU tomorrow) by 30. I caught part of the game last night.....it appears they are a rivalry and there was a long weather delay. Who knows......does nothing to change my thoughts on Wyoming as we are a work in progress. But, expect the Pokes to get better weekly.

With this result, we can also point to AFA dismantling Boise.
Agree 100%. Team x beating team y means little in football. I was mainly wondering how they scored so much with similar offensive stats to us when we played FAU.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I didn't watch the FAU game, but FIU's offense stats (sans score) are very similar to WYO's against FAU. For those that watched, what was the main difference? Field position of turnovers?

FIU had a 100 yard fumble return for a TD when FAU was about to score and they had a pick 6. But they also had no problem moving the ball on FAU at all and they mixed it up pretty well run and pass.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Oregon defense is really bad and Arizona is going to turn some heads, Wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Pac 12.

What we got is what we got. And out o-line wasn't all that good in pass protection in the spread, which is what they were recruited for (still don't do very well in the shotgun formation).

Right now, in order to win games, we have to go on long sustained drives, rely on the run game with some roll out play action passes thrown in there (we do alright on those), and rely on our defense to, if nothing else, limit other offenses to FGs, if not keep them from scoring altogether. Also, no more "Cutesy" plays either. Those never work for us. For one, our o-line just cannot hold a block for very long consistently. Also on 3rd and short, power it up the middle, rather than shotgun pass. It has rarely worked so far. Next, if Wick is tearing them up on the ground, keep feeding it to him. Force the other team to stop Wick. May works best as a change of pace guy and shotgun formation back. Finally, if the other team is loading up to blitz, USE A HB SCREEN PASS! SO many times we saw our o-line get overwhelmed almost immediately when the other team blitzes, and it's obvious they're blitzing, but we rarely call screens! GAH! It would at least keep defenses more honest. And May has shown he is dangerous with the screen pass.
I totally agree. We consistently bust big plays off of screens. It's conference, give Wick the damn ball!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

landerpoke wrote:I totally agree. We consistently bust big plays off of screens. It's conference, give Wick the damn ball!
Amen! Give the guy 30 carries a game and lets win some freakin ball games. Wick has that uncanny ability to know where the hole is going to be and 9 times out of 10 hits the correct gap.
I'm good for 3!