Hunter Maldonado commits to Cowboys

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Here's a pretty good article on him. Looks like a good get for the Pokes.

http://gazette.com/the-gazette-5a-4a-bo ... le/1573639
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

What is going on these past couple days? Adding players left and right. Really shows how out of the loop we really are.

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Looks like a great fit for Dunk Town USA!

That hair though....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Maldonado, a 6-foot-5 wing who is one of the state’s hidden 2017 gems, is having a breakout junior season, averaging 21.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game for 12-4 Vista Ridge. His scoring average is tops in the cutthroat 4A Pikes Peak League.

“Probably just my consistency,” Maldonado said when asked what has triggered such a big season. “My shot has gotten a lot more consistent. And I’d say with my maturity, I’ve grown a lot with that over the past year.”

Maldonado credited his Vista Ridge coach Joe Hites for helping him with a shot-pocket adjustment that has helped him find great consistency with his jumper. He’s shooting 36 percent from the 3-point line, 47 percent from the floor and 70 percent from the line.

He demonstrated even greater range in the win over Discovery Canyon last week, when his career-high 39-point outing included a buzzer-beating half-court shot just before halftime.

“My 3-pointers were way off, actually,” Maldonado said. “I hit just one three and it that half-court buzzer-beater. Everything else was inside. Everything was post work and getting to the basket.”

Like good teammates do, Maldonado’s Vista Ridge pals gave him some good-natured ribbing for not turning his 39-point game into a 40-spot.

“Oh, yeah. I caught a bunch of crap,” Maldonado said with a laugh. “I’ve really been working on my free throws, and that was the best free-throw outing I’ve ever had, 10-of-12. But they gave me a lot of crap for missing those two free throws and not getting 40.”

His versatility has already earned Maldonado some attention on the recruiting trail. He said he’s received letters from Weber State and the University of Denver, and a coach from South Dakota attended Vista Ridge’s 63-62 victory over Sand Creek on Wednesday.

“And I’ve got my coach helping me talk to some other people, getting my name out there,” Maldonado said. “He thinks I could play mid-major (Division I), but no one really knows about me.”

http://www.prephoops.com/2016/01/player ... nado-2017/
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Damn busy couple of days! Love seeing the new names and faces!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:What is going on these past couple days? Adding players left and right. Really shows how out of the loop we really are.

Reminds me a lot of Justin James
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
poke_addict wrote:What is going on these past couple days? Adding players left and right. Really shows how out of the loop we really are.

I agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Seems like a great addition
poke_addict
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:

I agree with this

I think Hunter is actually quicker than JJ. That last dunk in Hunter's tape made me jump out of my chair. That was some Josh Adams poop right there. Really impressed with Hunter the more I watch his tape. I think the staff found a gem and I respect Hunter for the early commit, must have taken notice of what we do to the his local D1 schools. :D As far as JJ goes, he's just going to be special he's one of the smoothest players I have seen. I feel him and Jmac will put the team on their backs this year.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote:
laxwyo wrote:

I agree with this

I think Hunter is actually quicker than JJ. That last dunk in Hunter's tape made me jump out of my chair. That was some Josh Adams poop right there. Really impressed with Hunter the more I watch his tape. I think the staff found a gem and I respect Hunter for the early commit, must have taken notice of what we do to the his local D1 schools. :D As far as JJ goes, he's just going to be special he's one of the smoothest players I have seen. I feel him and Jmac will put the team on their backs this year.
It didn't look like Hunter was playing against highest quality of players

W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: It didn't look like Hunter was playing against highest quality of players

He played 4A Colorado. For his senior year, his team will be moving up to 5A (top division) which will be interesting to watch. 4A classification isn't necessarily small though, I think it's fair to argue it's much more competitive than any level in Wyoming, but that didn't stop us from wanting a slightly taller, slightly paler kid named Hunter in our 2017 class ;)
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
laxwyo wrote:

I agree with this

It didn't look like Hunter was playing against highest quality of players

He was in 4A but aparantly this season his school is moving up to 5A so we will see how he does against better opponents. He looks pretty good to me. A good Wyoming recruit(needs some development but has the skills to be really good)
poke_addict
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:
laxwyo wrote: It didn't look like Hunter was playing against highest quality of players

He played 4A Colorado. For his senior year, his team will be moving up to 5A (top division) which will be interesting to watch. 4A classification isn't necessarily small though, I think it's fair to argue it's much more competitive than any level in Wyoming, but that didn't stop us from wanting a slightly taller, slightly paler kid named Hunter in our 2017 class ;)
Agreed everyone here was drooling over a 2A Wyoming kid that literally played kids that would be JV in Colorado 4A. I will agree Maldonado didn't play in the same high school league that JJ dominated but he is impressive none the less
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Maybe he was just that much better than the 4A kids. A Wyoming recruit should dominate 4A, which he did. All I'm saying is that the kids he blew buy looked like they were in junior high compared to him

W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

He was dunking over people and stuff. It's not very often in Wyoming that a kid can do stuff like that and he did it like 20 times. I think he will be really good.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:He was dunking over people and stuff. It's not very often in Wyoming that a kid can do stuff like that and he did it like 20 times. I think he will be really good.
I'm always drawn to guys with clear athleticism. It just gives a kid a nice base to work from, and can immediately raise the potential one has. He looks like he has that in spades.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:He was dunking over people and stuff. It's not very often in Wyoming that a kid can do stuff like that and he did it like 20 times. I think he will be really good.
I'm always drawn to guys with clear athleticism. It just gives a kid a nice base to work from, and can immediately raise the potential one has. He looks like he has that in spades.
Development is key though. Luckily you weren't here to witness the Shroyer era -- a bunch of kids who could jump through the roof but got worse year to year (assuming they actually stayed on the team). It's a good base, but our staff is key to helping them develop. As an example, I'm willing to bet Adams wouldn't have developed into such a stud at any other school in the conference.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Development is key though. Luckily you weren't here to witness the Shroyer era -- a bunch of kids who could jump through the roof but got worse year to year (assuming they actually stayed on the team). It's a good base, but our staff is key to helping them develop. As an example, I'm willing to bet Adams wouldn't have developed into such a stud at any other school in the conference.
Luckily it appears this staff is good at doing exactly that...developing players. From Larry, to Derek, to JMac, to Grabau, to Josh.....all these guys improved a great deal during their time in Laramie..
poke_addict
Cowpoke