Nice to see Sam Awrabi commit...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The defensive recruiting class looks very strong this year. Now if we can get Pulu and Sanders we're going to be pretty salty on defense for years.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If nothing else, DC has done an incredible job recruiting here. But he is also turning the program around as well.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think a lot of these guys(at least defensively) are directly related to the hire of Chris Tormey. I preferred Breske, but with the recruiting that's going on, it looks like Tormey is doing a hell of a job addressing our defensive weaknesses through recruiting.

Now if we can just land Sanders and Pulu.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:The defensive recruiting class looks very strong this year. Now if we can get Pulu and Sanders we're going to be pretty salty on defense for years.
ESPN has awrabi tied with sewell and olive as our best guys. we all should be very excited about this commitment on the DL. I think we'll be strong with DB's, LB's and DE's, still might be average at DT. We need that one DT that can demand a double team and get some sacks on a pass rush. When that happens, we'll have a great D.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:The defensive recruiting class looks very strong this year. Now if we can get Pulu and Sanders we're going to be pretty salty on defense for years.
ESPN has awrabi tied with sewell and olive as our best guys. we all should be very excited about this commitment on the DL. I think we'll be strong with DB's, LB's and DE's, still might be average at DT. We need that one DT that can demand a double team and get some sacks on a pass rush. When that happens, we'll have a great D.
I think we've got that guy in Wyoming freshman of the year and Phil Steele Freshman All-American Patrick Mertens. I don't know how much weight he's put back on since his mystery ailment, but if he's bigger than he was as a freshman watch out.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

I don't expect him to be 100% this year at weight or in his play. Sort of like a pitcher coming of tommy john surgery, the year they come back usually isn't good. Maybe Olive plays and is a freshman all american?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

[quote="Cowboy Junky"]The defensive recruiting class looks very strong this year. Now if we can get Pulu and Sanders we're going to be pretty salty on defense for years.[/quote

Hell ya, throw in Burns, Yarbrough, Nzeocha etc from last years class and you have 2 pretty good classes together. Im already excited with what we have but if we can get a couple yrs to gel and these kids with Pulu and Sanders that would be awesome!

A healthy Smith, Sutton and Sewell, etc. will put up points esp with our improved line play, match that with solid d and sp teams and we could be scary good real soon. Sewell film is awesome, he could be marcus harris great. Looks to have to potential to be even better.....wow, than a biletnikoff winner. Super fired up.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Scout is showing Sanders as an Arizona commit. There are a couple guys that would still be outstanding..especially Pulu.

For those wondering about DT's....besides returning everyone including Mertens, we have 3 big bodies in this class already. The kid from LA's Chaminade looks like a beast even though we isn't on any recruiting service listings.

Wouldn't mind seeing a QB get signed before this class is complete.

Go Pokes!!
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

That's too bad on Sanders, he would have been the icing on the cake.

Still, I think we need to recruit a safety. Hopefully one shows up before signing day. We recruit a lot of guys and switch them to safety, but Pro was probably the last real true safety we went and got. I know a lot of kids can play safety, but it seems like we do better on defense when we have a guy that's played safety his whole life and is a natural fit there. In hindsight, Tashaun probably should have been there all four years, but we needed him at corner more early on in his carreer.

Come on coaches: go get us the next Chris Pro, John Wendling, Al Rich, Trent Gamble, or Brian Lee. Our tradition of all-conference/NFL caliber safeties needs to continue.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

He seems to fit into the staff's philosophy of recruiting explosiveness and athleticism. ESPN's profile on him says he has a 36 in. vertical jump (best DE measured is 36.6) and 99 in. broad jump (best DE is 103). Christensen's comments in the past have indicated they have a system of evaluating recruits based on these measurables that emphasizes the jumps because they tend to be the most predictive of success on the field.

Think about that - a 6'3" 230-240 lb. dude with a 36 in. vertical leap? Damn.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:That's too bad on Sanders, he would have been the icing on the cake.

Still, I think we need to recruit a safety. Hopefully one shows up before signing day. We recruit a lot of guys and switch them to safety, but Pro was probably the last real true safety we went and got. I know a lot of kids can play safety, but it seems like we do better on defense when we have a guy that's played safety his whole life and is a natural fit there. In hindsight, Tashaun probably should have been there all four years, but we needed him at corner more early on in his carreer.

Come on coaches: go get us the next Chris Pro, John Wendling, Al Rich, Trent Gamble, or Brian Lee. Our tradition of all-conference/NFL caliber safeties needs to continue.
We have an offer out to Ma'ne Manaea, who was a CU commit before they asked him to grayshirt. Scout has him listed as a 3*, the #78 ranked safety in the nation. He also happens to be from Washington, where our new DC recruits heavily.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:That's too bad on Sanders, he would have been the icing on the cake.

We have an offer out to Ma'ne Manaea, who was a CU commit before they asked him to grayshirt. Scout has him listed as a 3*, the #78 ranked safety in the nation. He also happens to be from Washington, where our new DC recruits heavily.

That would be a GREAT get...I want Manaea and a solid QB to learn behind Bretty Smith for a couple of years so that he can teach him how to be a BADASS!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... 8wFDX_wOrF_
WyomingFTball1995
Buckaroo

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!
If we can have a good 2013 class as well, Wyoming football is going to be on a great path to turn around forthe long haul....and apparently the coaches are already tryin to get those 2013 kids on campus...the Matlock kid from Ohio is already coming to spring game, I have been looking on recruiting sites for other 2013s but that is our only one so far....its going to be GREAT to be a Wyoming fan
GO COWBOYS!
“I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.”-Jack Tatum
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

WyomingFTball1995 wrote:DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!
If we can have a good 2013 class as well, Wyoming football is going to be on a great path to turn around forthe long haul....and apparently the coaches are already tryin to get those 2013 kids on campus...the Matlock kid from Ohio is already coming to spring game, I have been looking on recruiting sites for other 2013s but that is our only one so far....its going to be GREAT to be a Wyoming fan
GO COWBOYS!

You sure are big on this kid...do you know him or something?
WyomingFTball1995
Buckaroo

SLCPoke wrote:
WyomingFTball1995 wrote:DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!
GO COWBOYS!

You sure are big on this kid...do you know him or something?
Born in Ohio lol about 45 mins from my hometown of Middletown Ohio...love to get an Ohio kid here.
Last edited by WyomingFTball1995 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyomingFTball1995
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:
Scout is showing Sanders as an Arizona commit. There are a couple guys that would still be outstanding..especially Pulu.

For those wondering about DT's....besides returning everyone including Mertens, we have 3 big bodies in this class already. The kid from LA's Chaminade looks like a beast even though we isn't on any recruiting service listings.

Wouldn't mind seeing a QB get signed before this class is complete.

Go Pokes!!
Im Surprised we didnt go after the Donatell kid QB from Colorado who is still available....but he is on Colorado St and the Buffs recruiting board..
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think were going after that QB from Grand Junction. I don't remember his name though.
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Rebbalca (sp) I think
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Donatell is verballed to Wake Forest.