Another review of DC's rant

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Just watched College Football Live on ESPN on my lunch break. They played the video of DC's rant in it's entirety (with a lot of bleeps, obviously). Trevor Mattich then made two good points. He questioned how DC could ever tell his players, with a straight face, about keeping their emotions in check. He also said all opposing coaches that are recruiting against Wyoming will have that video on hand to show parents and ask if that's the kind of person they want their kids playing for. Lastly, he chastised DC by saying "how dare he" talk to someone who has defended our country and is teaching men who will soon be going off to war that way.

The hits just keep on coming!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

Unfortunately that is why our program cannot retain DC if it hopes to improve/avoid the MWC basement. I think DC has put into place a good offensive scheme and has brought in talent at the skill positions, but we won't win any recruiting battles with him as HC due to the damage of the video. There just is no going back.

It sounded crazy when it was proposed but Joe Tiller would be the ideal candidate to help us transition. This is because we already have the players in the program to fit his offensive system. Joe doesn't have to coach for long, but he could certainly rescue us ala Bill Snyder.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

:lol: There are worse ideas! Fire Burman and DC, bring in TIller and let he and Brandy and Ken Sailors look for the new AD and new coach. ;)
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote:Lastly, he chastised DC by saying "how dare he" talk to someone who has defended our country and is teaching men who will soon be going off to war that way.
Matich may be wrong and clearly doesn't know the whole story. But this is what I was talking about.....that does not matter! All that matters is public perception.....and CDC has put UW in a negative light that won't switch off.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

First off, Mattich is a BYU alumn, so whatever he says should be taken with a grain of salt. And for all those who think this could hurt recruiting, it might also help. Depending on how you look at it, we either have a coach who had no basis to go off. Or, we have a coach who is willing to stick up for his players/team.

If it does have a negative affect, then steps should be taken to correct.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:First off, Mattich is a BYU alumn, so whatever he says should be taken with a grain of salt. And for all those who think this could hurt recruiting, it might also help. Depending on how you look at it, we either have a coach who had no basis to go off. Or, we have a coach who is willing to stick up for his players/team.

Wishful thinking. Parents have so much more influence on their children's college/career decisions than they did 10 years ago and very few are going to let their "precious kid" play for a coach like that.

I seriously doubt we win ANY recruiting battles.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

+1
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:First off, Mattich is a BYU alumn, so whatever he says should be taken with a grain of salt. And for all those who think this could hurt recruiting, it might also help. Depending on how you look at it, we either have a coach who had no basis to go off. Or, we have a coach who is willing to stick up for his players/team.

Wishful thinking. Parents have so much more influence on their children's college/career decisions than they did 10 years ago and very few are going to let their "precious kid" play for a coach like that.

I seriously doubt we win ANY recruiting battles.
Why don't we wait and see. I love fans who automatically assume poop.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Know what would make a bigger impact on recruits? Winning games! Check out this story about Rufran.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/rufran-14 ... almer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beat Boise this week and nobody will be talking about the blowup.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

I hate the f-word military fetish in this country. Other than that poop point, agree mostly with the dude's points on the show you watched.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

COS Cowboy wrote:Know what would make a bigger impact on recruits? Winning games! Check out this story about Rufran.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/rufran-14 ... almer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fail to see how a story written prior to the AF game addresses our recruiting issues in light of the 2 additional losses and the blowup. I agree, winning seasons and bowl games have a large impact on recruiting...unfortunately both are unlikely at this point.

However, beat Boise and the blowup will still be the focus...the headline will be "Cowboys win in wake of coaches' suspension" or "Cowboys come out to play for interim coach" or "Coach's blowup ignites a spark in Cowboys", etc...
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Matich looked like an ass. He went after DC and yeah, what DC did was obviously wrong, but his main thing was that DC went after the coach of a military academy and that DC went after kids who will go to war. How about the fact that Calhoun coaches at a military academy, teaches kid who will go to war, and he is teaching them poor ethics and that you can cheat to win. I know DC was wrong but if Calhoun didn't teach his players to fake injuries this wouldn't have happened.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:Know what would make a bigger impact on recruits? Winning games! Check out this story about Rufran.

I fail to see how a story written prior to the AF game addresses our recruiting issues in light of the 2 additional losses and the blowup. I agree, winning seasons and bowl games have a large impact on recruiting...unfortunately both are unlikely at this point.

However, beat Boise and the blowup will still be the focus...the headline will be "Cowboys win in wake of coaches' suspension" or "Cowboys come out to play for interim coach" or "Coach's blowup ignites a spark in Cowboys", etc...
Maybe you should actually read it. In 2010 Rufran was a high school senior on the fence about whether to go to CSU or WYO. The 44-0 pasting cemented it.

The blowup should have been last week's news. The video and suspension made it this weeks news. Providing DC doesn't get fired next week, it will be last week's news next week. Beat Boise and it will be but a footnote.
hithere
Ranch Hand

Exactly. Trevor Matich is an ex BYU player, so f-word him and anything he says in general.

Especially anything related to Wyoming.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

COS Cowboy wrote:Maybe you should actually read it. In 2010 Rufran was a high school senior on the fence about whether to go to CSU or WYO. The 44-0 pasting cemented it.

The blowup should have been last week's news. The video and suspension made it this weeks news. Providing DC doesn't get fired next week, it will be last week's news next week. Beat Boise and it will be but a footnote.
You say that like its a given. Far easier said than done.....what if BSU hammers Wyoming this weekend? Then what? Geezus.....these hypothetical's every week.....last week it was Fresno, before that Air Force, then Nevada and so on.
Last edited by J-Rod on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

COS Cowboy wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:

Maybe you should actually read it. In 2010 Rufran was a high school senior on the fence about whether to go to CSU or WYO. The 44-0 pasting cemented it.

Rufran's quote about wins is prior to DC being exposed to the nation for going crazy. You honestly think that, all other factors the same, that if Rufran were to be recruited today that DC's blowup would have nothing to do with whether he chose Wyoming or not and it would still be simply based upon the outcome of the CSU-Wyoming game?

I'm sorry, I wish I could have a positive outlook for Wyoming football, but to ignore the obvious impediments that we now face gets us nowhere.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

hithere wrote:

Exactly. Trevor Matich is an ex BYU player, so f-word him and anything he says in general.

Especially anything related to Wyoming.
I agree, he has an axe to grind. Does a single non-Wyoming fan draw the same conclusion as to Mattich's credibility when they saw it on TV?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: I agree, he has an axe to grind. Does a single non-Wyoming fan draw the same conclusion as to Mattich's credibility when they saw it on TV?
Probably not. Few even acknowledge BYU and UW as "rivals" to begin with. That's more a Wyoming thing. But nobody even gets that far.....all they know is UW's coach went nuts on some coach from a service academy. ESPiN is good at stuff like this.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

"Phuck..... Just heard a parent of a CO recruit on 850 KOA.... His kid had gone to a Wyoming camp and they refused to go back because of the way Christensen acted during camp. He said they are now 100% sure the kid will not play football at Wyoming after the video....."

This just posted on MWC Board by HR Poke.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pretty much guarantee Christensen will be done at the end of this year if not sooner and Wyoming will have a new head football coach next year.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….