We can beat Tennessee!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well here is just my take from today...

The Good: WE ACTUALLY PLAYED FOOTBALL today! It's incredible when you execute and don't turn the ball over. Granted it was SDSU but most of our mistakes this season were just bonehead anyway. I think we have actually FOUND A QB. Stutz played really really well considering. Didn't force anything and took advantage of some big play opportunities that scored us some points. Of course D-mo had a great game but I could have lined up against that D-line. The key in this game is that we have a QB that can play! If we can carry that over to next Saturday, we will be in the game!

The Bad: I still continue to hate our coaching. I mean why punt on the 30 yard line? I'd rather give Scott a chance at a long FG than have a 5 yard punt! 4th and inches? We still punt. I wish our coach's were just a little more hungry to dominate a game! If we are to beat Tenn. We can't play that kind of ball.
I'm good for 3!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

We didn't throw a single pass in the second half. I understand not wanting to run the score up on SDSU, but if our passing game is good enough to run the score up - why didn't we use it more in the first half. Our QB and receivers (not to mention the OL) could have worked on their passing game under game conditions in preparation for Tennessee. If our coaching staff thinks we will run on Tennessee, I'll have some of what they are smoking. Tennessee's run defense is at least as good as TCU's. They are having trouble on offense just like we have had.
Some of our coaching calls on offense are just awful - make no sense whatsoever. The coaching staff did nothing to correct the weakness we have on defense of teams passing on seam routes. Look for Tennessee to go after us there too.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
SnipeyPoke
Buckaroo

I don't see a win against the volunteers or any of our last conference games. We should just enoy the one win we got. Attending the SDSU made me feel horrible as the speed of the two teams was slow at best. Our guys seemed a little quicker on reads but our corners are plain slow. They got burnt on numerous plays. The only thing we had on our side was their poor freshmen quarterback that couldn't connect on longer routes and that thing they called a running back that is slower then our defensive line. I was surprised SDSU scored anything. Which isn't good for us... :(
Go Pokes!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 250 times

I watched TN v. South Carolina and I say flat at NO we will not beat them. We beat SDSU, arguably the worst team in D1. We are not going to run for 300 yards against TN, not even close. Do you guys not remember that New Mexico (another weak offense) put up 70 on SDSU? IMO, UNLV is our best shot for a win and other than that I dont see any.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 61 times

I don't see any way we beat Tennessee. Tennessee has a very good defense. Look for them to shut down the running game and force us to pass the ball. Inevitably, we will have a few turnovers. The most disappointing part of this football team is our defense. Lets not forget that SDSU was in the red zone FIVE times and only came away with 10 points to show for it. I think it was less that our defense stepped up in the redzone as it was SDSU having poor execution. I gurantee if Tennessee gets in the redzone five times, they will score more than 10 points. All Tennessee has to do is throw 7-10 yard routes the entire game and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it. I hate to be so negative, but it's just the reality of things this year.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Didn't the Pokes have A WWHOLE TWO WEEKS to prepare for SDSU (the coaches didn't leave for recruiting)? Wouldn't that have something to do with the win?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 250 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Didn't the Pokes have A WWHOLE TWO WEEKS to prepare for SDSU (the coaches didn't leave for recruiting)? Wouldn't that have something to do with the win?
We had two weeks to prepare for TCU, but maybe Glenn realized that was a lost cause and focused on the only team he thought he could beat.
BriVol
Buckaroo

The Vols offence is nothing less than awful and the line can not block a snail. The defense is outstanding and the guy to watch is number 14 Eric Berry IMO he is the best defensive back in the country and if it was not for the team being so bad I feel he would have Heisman possibilities. The Vols defense scores more than the offence and if you start throwing the ball around it could be a long day if you’re QB if he is shaky. If you come to Knoxville you will hear all the talk about getting rid of Fulmer as well. The Vols fan base is very divided on the issue but everyone is leaning farther to the fire category. This looks to be the match up of the upset fans.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

I made the same comment at the game about the fourth down stupidity. I told my wife that, even against SDSU, we still don't coach to win. Some knuckle head in front of me said..."we already won the game". WTF?? He missed the whole point.
Just as previously mentioned, use the game to work on some things we need to. No passing in the second half...Glenn is a TERRIBLE coach and his pal Cole is worse than Cockhill.
I enjoyed the win but walked away knowing that nothing has changed from any perspective. Our coaching sucks, our offense is vanilla, our corners can't intercept the ball, etc.
This wasn't a coming out game, we just happened to have been playing the worst D1 team in the nation.
I was impressed with Stutz and his emotion. He is a player. Unlike his coach that walks around the sideline, a paper rolled up in his back pocket, and his arms crossed. What a joke....adios Glenn.
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925